To understand copyright infringement it would be best to first look at the definition of copyright. According to wikepedia.com, copyright is a set of exclusive rights regulating the use of a particular expression of an idea or information. Basically, it is giving someone the right to copy something original. Copyright infringement then, is copying something original that is protected under the law of copyright, thus making it illegal. In the case of infringement of electronic and visual-audio media, like music or online videos, the term used is called piracy or theft.
Probably the most well known copyright infringement today is the unauthorized downloading and sharing of videos and music. Another unauthorized copyright issue today is the use of camcorders in movie theaters. This is often known as CAM or camming. A person who CAMs a movie sneaks their camera into the theater, both hiding it in their clothing or in a bag, and tapes the movie while sitting in their seats. Depending on the person recording, the movie might turn out to seem very much like the original and making it easier to sell.
Do you download your music? Maybe off of Limewire, Bear Share, or Morpheous. Do you ever wonder why it is so easy to just get the music you want with the click of a button? That would be because it is illegal. Most people think that it is okay because everyone does it and since the rest of the world is doing it they won’t get caught. This is not the case. The penalties for copyright infringement depending on the situation can be pretty sever. Most of the punishment is administered privately by the copyright holder. “Violation of copyright law is also considered a federal crime when done willfully with an intent to profit. Criminal penalties include up to ten years imprisonment depending on the nature of the violation.”
Since the internet, copyright piracy has become an increasing problem because it allows perfect copying and easy distribution. It makes it harder for copyright holders to control the amount of copying flowing from the internet. A question many people may ask is why are copyright holders so concerned about piracy? Isn’t freedom of speech protected by our government? The answer is yes, but so are property rights. An incentive for creating music, videos, literature, or software is receiving all the benefits. Imagine spending 9 months working on a video and then posting your copyright masterpiece on the internet. Now imagine someone taking your hard work and claiming it as their own and getting all the attention you wanted. Now, it’s not exactly the same as what the major corporations go through, but it is an idea.
I own an Ipod. When I first got my Ipod a few years ago I bought iTunes with it to prevent myself from stealing music. It cost me 99 cents per song. After awhile, the money started adding up and I ended up spending 250 dollars for only 250 songs. If my iPod held 3000 songs I would be spending 3000 dollars. A bit ridiculous?! I think so. So I moved on to Limewire where I get music for ‘free’ but I also risk of getting caught illegally downloading. I feel as though it is a risk millions of Americans take every day. I do not think copyright infringement can be stopped or prevented. Too much is going on with the internet today to catch millions of people stealing songs, videos, software, etc. People take a huge risk putting things on the internet and if it gets stolen I say its your own damn fault!
Probably the most well known copyright infringement today is the unauthorized downloading and sharing of videos and music. Another unauthorized copyright issue today is the use of camcorders in movie theaters. This is often known as CAM or camming. A person who CAMs a movie sneaks their camera into the theater, both hiding it in their clothing or in a bag, and tapes the movie while sitting in their seats. Depending on the person recording, the movie might turn out to seem very much like the original and making it easier to sell.
Do you download your music? Maybe off of Limewire, Bear Share, or Morpheous. Do you ever wonder why it is so easy to just get the music you want with the click of a button? That would be because it is illegal. Most people think that it is okay because everyone does it and since the rest of the world is doing it they won’t get caught. This is not the case. The penalties for copyright infringement depending on the situation can be pretty sever. Most of the punishment is administered privately by the copyright holder. “Violation of copyright law is also considered a federal crime when done willfully with an intent to profit. Criminal penalties include up to ten years imprisonment depending on the nature of the violation.”
Since the internet, copyright piracy has become an increasing problem because it allows perfect copying and easy distribution. It makes it harder for copyright holders to control the amount of copying flowing from the internet. A question many people may ask is why are copyright holders so concerned about piracy? Isn’t freedom of speech protected by our government? The answer is yes, but so are property rights. An incentive for creating music, videos, literature, or software is receiving all the benefits. Imagine spending 9 months working on a video and then posting your copyright masterpiece on the internet. Now imagine someone taking your hard work and claiming it as their own and getting all the attention you wanted. Now, it’s not exactly the same as what the major corporations go through, but it is an idea.
I own an Ipod. When I first got my Ipod a few years ago I bought iTunes with it to prevent myself from stealing music. It cost me 99 cents per song. After awhile, the money started adding up and I ended up spending 250 dollars for only 250 songs. If my iPod held 3000 songs I would be spending 3000 dollars. A bit ridiculous?! I think so. So I moved on to Limewire where I get music for ‘free’ but I also risk of getting caught illegally downloading. I feel as though it is a risk millions of Americans take every day. I do not think copyright infringement can be stopped or prevented. Too much is going on with the internet today to catch millions of people stealing songs, videos, software, etc. People take a huge risk putting things on the internet and if it gets stolen I say its your own damn fault!
3 comments:
Good discussion, but I'd like to see more about your proposed solutions. Millions of people breaking the law means that something needs to change (the law, technologies, the people, etc.)
I found it interesting the way you brought filming "bootleg" movies into a copyright discussion. It's a good point, and a strong example of copyright that I feel a lot of people tend to overlook.
I really enjoyed reading your post. It is so true about how much money it costs to put music on your iPod if you buy it legally...and somehow those artists haven't gone hungry yet have they?? :)
Post a Comment